Friday, January 16, 2015

Observation and Awareness #8

Which comes first?  I've read and heard, many, many times how people are aware of some place, something conceptual, how to do this or that and, thus, they're "aware of something."  If someone says, "Hey!  Look at that bird."  Are you then aware of it?  Not really, because one sense of the word is merely superficially motivated as in "I see it" and now I'm aware of it, but the fact is you've always been aware of birds and whatever.  But this falls under knowledge--I know there are birds.  We know that birds exist, we named them etc.  If the item or concept is prior knowledge, place or object then that is merely a knowledge of something.  It's not true awareness which is often mistaken.  Knowledge of something doesn't make us aware, it makes us knowledgeable of/about something.  Hey!  See that bird?  Kidding.  We're not being critical, but there are many organizations claiming, the public needs to be "made aware" of this or that social problem and "we're doing that."  The problem, this form of awareness does very little to address the true nature of awareness--if I'm told "to be aware", of course, I'm not.  And not because I'm opposed to the cause, but only because that process is born out of our limited knowledge and unconscious of itself, therefore, is superficial.  Knowledge clouds our perception of what's true, fact or false--we're constantly wondering which is which etc.  'Human arguments' are rooted in  what's true, false, right or wrong in everything we do.  So, therefore--Oh!  What about observation?  How about this?  If I say, "I'm aware of what creates conflict."  That is, I see the origin of it, my present state because of it, as in my total actions and the effects they have in the "now" and the future, then I, with the help of my present environment are "aware" of the actions of the self.  I am then observing it.  Think on this--if we're aware of the making of conflict, would it exist?  In short,  when the mind is aware of its internal actions then it's able to observe that action or movement of thought, just as someone says, "look at that bird."  I then can observe it.  To be aware, first, is to observe always.